Get That Makeup Sponge Clean!
We know you haven’t done it in a while.
Now that we all have a little more time on our hands, we have the perfect opportunity to get those jobs done that we know need doing but never get round to. One of which is cleaning our makeup brushes. Whether you’re a makeup brush hoarder or you haven’t cleaned the few that you have since you got them, it’s a daunting and time-consuming task but it’s super important to clean your makeup tools to prevent irritation and breakouts.
One makeup tool that people often have a hard time cleaning properly is their makeup sponge. With brushes, it’s pretty easy to see if you’ve cleaned it properly, but with a sponge, once you’ve got the initial makeup, it’s hard to tell if it’s really clean on the inside of the sponge. There’s more than just one way that you can clean your makeup sponge, we’ve rounded up our favourite two and it doesn’t include running it underwater so it expands (that’s not actually cleaning!)
Cleaning With A Cleansing Pad
This is our favourite way of cleaning makeup sponges (it’s also the best way to clean makeup brushes so you can do it all at once). When cleaning your makeup sponge you need to be careful of not damaging it, cleansing pads are great at being gentle but still achieving a great, deep clean. You can get cleaning mats from the likes of Sigma and Real Techniques which you can just pop into your sink or the Beauty Blender Keep It Clean which slips over your hand.
- Squeeze your sponge under running water until it is completely wet.
- Add some cleansing liquid or even gentle baby soap onto the cleansing pad.
- Gently rub your sponge along the cleansing pad, until the makeup stains are gone. Squeezing the sponge a little for the soap goes into the sponge not just on the outside.
- Rinse the sponge under running water, squeezing gently until the water runs clear of makeup and soap.
- Set the makeup sponge aside to air dry where there is a good amount of circulation to prevent mould.
Cleaning Your Makeup Sponge In The Microwave
A quick zap in the microwave with soapy water will work in the same way as a washing machine, sanitizing your sponge in the process. Follow our steps below:
- Mix together a mild soap, preferably baby soap with warm water in a microwave-safe bowl or cup, you need enough to cover your sponge entirely.
- Add the sponge to the mixture giving it a few squeezes so the water can get inside then drop it in fully.
- Set the microwave going for a minute, once it’s done let it cool for 30 seconds before taking it out. Voila, it's as good as new!
- Finally, Rinse the sponge under clean running water and set aside to dry.
Next up, Get Rihanna’s Summertime Glow With The Latest Fenty Face Tutorial