A Simple Guide To Facial Steaming And It's Skincare Benefits
Get your skin looking healthy and glowing for longer.
As our bodies are covered with almost sixteen percent of skin, it is no wonder that some of the most widely researched topics are about skincare routines and how to maintain or get your skin looking healthy and glowing for longer. Women all around the world, and men too, aim to have good-looking skin but sometimes we don’t always have all the information and when we do, we aren’t too sure on how to go about applying it into our personal routines and lives.
For those who have heard about facial steaming but still feel a little left out in the dark regarding what it is all about, how it is done and what good it can do for your skin; we have put together a simple guide on facial steaming and all the benefits associated with this type of skincare routine.
Ultimately, we all have preferences and needs specific to our own skin type, so be sure to ask your dermatologist or skin care professional to assist if you with what would work best for you.
Image from instagram @aishabeau
FIRST THINGS FIRST – WHAT IS FACIAL STEAMING?
Facial steaming is an easy yet effective method to cleansing your skin by using the heat from the steam to dilate the pores, allowing for an easier release of dirt trapped underneath as well as increasing circulation when your skin perspires from the heat. This technique is known to contribute in many positive ways to the skin and many skincare professionals will utilize this technique during their skincare practices, incorporating facial steaming into a variety of facials and consultations.
Let’s take a look at some of the healthy skincare benefits one can experience through facial steaming:
- IMPROVES CIRCULATION: As mentioned above, the heat from the steam combined with the perspiration assists in healthy circulation as well as dilating the blood vessels. This aids in promoting cell regeneration and healing as well as an overall glow and healthier-looking skin.
- UNCLOGS PORES: Through the dilation of the pores, the pores are unclogged and this will allow for easy extraction and removal of any accumulated bacteria and dirt that gets caught underneath the skin. This will result in clearer-looking skin by eliminating the presence of black and whites heads and can assist in avoiding acne from forming if the pores and bacteria are left untreated.
- FACIAL PRODUCT ABSORBTION: Another great benefit of facial steaming is by using this technique as a foundation phase to opening up the pores, hydrating the skin, and allowing any facial products such as cleansers, toners and moisturizers to be absorbed as much as possible, instead of the products experiencing a barrier of dirt and bacteria. This can prevent the facial products from really doing their job and can cause unnecessary frustration and money spent when the results are not favorable. So if anything, facial steaming can be a supportive method in ensuring your facial products deliver the results your skin deserves.
- CLEARS UP CONGESTION AND SINUSES: So this is not entirely about your skin but it sure is a great benefit for those who might suffer from congestion or sinus. By steaming you can clear up those sinuses and any congestion as well as relieve any uncomfortable tension aches or headaches. Many people will add additional essential oils to their facial steaming to add to the relaxation therapy as well as the many health benefits essential oils provide the body, mind, and skin.
- RELAXING AND CALMING EFFECTS: Last but not least on this list of facial steaming benefits; adding this to your skincare routine can certainly help relax your mind as well as your skin from a tough day at work or any stress. Adding essential oils will assist in the calming effects of facial steaming and after each routine, you will not only find yourself feeling cleansed but your skin will look and feel great too.
VARIOUS FACIAL STEAMING METHODS TO CONSIDER
There are various facial steaming methods one can try and as we all have our preferences, budgets, and skin types – it is always best to choose a method that works well into your skincare routine and daily life and which is approved by your dermatologist or a skincare professional you can trust.
- TRY IT OUT AT HOME: As the simplest and most cost-effective of all the steaming methods, this method will be quick and easy to try out especially if you are a beginner to facial steaming. Simply use a bowl and add boiling hot water to the bowl to hover your face over by using a towel to block the steam from escaping. Some even add essential oils to the boiling water for added health benefits to the skin; not to mention being incredibly relaxing with a dash of lavender.
- SKINCARE PROFESSIONALS OR BEAUTY SPAS: If you are looking to hand over the reins to a specialist while you sit back and relax and enjoy the treatment, then why not take a look at some of the surrounding spas in your area. Many skincare therapists use the steaming method as a starting point to their treatment. You can even visit your local spa and sit in a sauna and let the steam work for your whole body.
- HOME USE FACIAL STEAMERS: Many women have started somewhere like the bowl and boiling hot water method and then moved on to wanting to take the facial steaming seriously with the help of facial steamers which one can use in the comfort of your own home. It is recommended to do your research in selecting which facial steamer to buy. Consult a dermatologist or skincare professional for some advice or guidance. Another way to familiarise yourself with the range of facial steamers available is to take a look through some review articles or sites such as OGLF (Our Good Living Formula). You can find some very informative tips and reviews by beauty and wellness enthusiasts and professionals online.
- TOWEL STEAMING: For the last method of facial steaming, the towel steaming technique is just as simple as the first however with a slight difference. Instead of hovering your head over a bowl of boiling hot water; soak a medium size hand towel in very hot water and then sit back and tilt your head back as you place the towel over your face gently. The heat from the towel will steam through your pores just the same.
Facial steaming is a simple yet effective method of cleansing the skin, rejuvenating the circulation, and removing all unwanted and excess bacteria and dirt. Your skin will feel clean and healthy in no time.
Next up, Glow Recipe Launches Hyaluronic Clay Pore-Tight Facial