Quinoa: 5 Facts You Need To Know
Like superheroes swooping in to save the day, superfoods are those that rescue our bodies from illness and nutritional deficiencies. One of these superfoods is quinoa. It has been consumed for thousands of years in South America, where the Incas thought of it as the “mother of all grains”. Technically quinoa is not a grain but actually a seed that is a relative of leafy, green vegetables like spinach.
The demand for quinoa has risen sharply in recent years, because of its many health benefits:
1. Quinoa is a complete protein which means that it contains all 9 essential amino acids that the body needs for repair and good health. This type of complete protein is rarely found in plant foods, though common in meats. Especially for sport freaks who incorporate lots of protein in their diet, quinoa is a great, vegetarian option.
2. Quinoa is also naturally free of gluten and is perfect for people with gluten intolerance.
3. Quinoa also happens to be very high in antioxidants and is easy to digest. If you are looking for a new protein source and minimally processed food, quinoa is worth checking out. These days you can find quinoa all over the world, especially in health food stores, in supermarkets and restaurants.
4. Quinoa has a lovely neutral flavour, with earthy undertones that makes the perfect canvas for just about any dish you want to create.
5. Quinoa is quick to cook, around 15 minutes so you can create a healthy meal without any fuss in the kitchen.
At the end of the day, quinoa is one of the healthiest and most nutritious foods on the planet.